Cheese lovers should not miss these amazing Spanish cheeses form the 100+ types produced in this large, mountainous, ancient country that is home to lots of sheep, goats and cattle that produce the milk needed for savory cheeses.
In this short post I want to highlight several cheeses from Extremadura have gained recognition for their exceptional quality. Here are five notable cheeses that have received awards or acclaim:
- Torta de Casar:
- Awards: Recognized as a PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) cheese, Torta de Casar has received numerous awards for its unique and luxurious qualities. It is renowned for its creamy texture and rich, flavorful taste.
- Queso Ibores:
- Awards: Another PDO cheese, Queso Ibores, has earned accolades for its distinctive taste and traditional production methods. The cheese is often recognized for its high quality and adherence to strict production standards.
- La Serena:
- Awards: La Serena, known for its soft, runny interior, has garnered praise for its traditional production techniques and the rich, complex flavors it delivers. It has been celebrated both nationally and internationally.
- Torta del Casar DOP Virgen del Prado:
- Awards: This variation of Torta de Casar has received acclaim for its exceptional quality. As a PDO cheese, it follows stringent production regulations to ensure authenticity and excellence.
- Queso de la Serena DOP:
- Awards: As a PDO cheese, Queso de la Serena has been recognized for its high standards of production and the unique qualities it imparts. Its rich and creamy texture contributes to its esteemed reputation.
Please note that the recognition and awards for cheeses can vary, and it’s advisable to check the latest awards and recognitions from reputable cheese competitions and organizations for the most up-to-date information on award-winning cheeses from Extremadura, Spain. If you’d like to include these cheeses and/or historic Extremadura in your private luxury tour of Spain, contact us to explore availability.